Sheryl McClure, who has no ancestors or relatives in Logan County, has generously donated transcriptions from Judge Springer's 1911 History of Logan County to Logan County ILGenWeb. This is from a section on various groups in the county. It is useful slice of life because it contains many names from 1911.
Every fifth man with whom you shake hands in the United States is a member of a secret society. A large number of the ladies are likewise members of secret fraternities and those who are not are likely associated with social or literary organizations or clubs. Logan County is bountifully supplied with clubs, societies and secret fraternities of various kinds and it is the intention in this chapter merely to briefly mention a few of the leading organizations, secret and otherwise, with reference to their historical origin:
The Woman's Club of Lincoln has played an important part in the civic life of the community in which it is located. It was organized at the City Hall, July 7, 1896. The first officers elected were as follows: President, Mrs. Caroline C. Lutz; recording secretary, Mrs. Harry Maltby; corresponding secretary, Miss Anna Pegram; treasurer, Mrs. E. S. Hunting; vice presidents, Mrs. C. E. Ross and Mrs. J. T. Hoblit; directors, Mrs. Jacob Seyfer, Mrs. F. C. Orton, Mrs. J. W. Collins, Mrs. R. M. Wildman, Dr. Alma E. Braucher, Mrs. F. B. Mills. Mrs. Patton, of Springfield, was present and assisted in the organization and some 75 ladies associated themselves as members of the club. Since its organization the club has assisted generally in advancing every public benefaction in the city. Among the movements with which it has been identified have been the following: Beautifying the city; improvement in municipal sanitation; park improvement; abatement of public nuisances: introduction of manual training in the schools; erection of a public drinking fountain in the court house square; aid and assistance to the hospitals; erecting permanent buildings and attractive entrances on the Lincoln Chautauqua grounds, and the general literary and social improvement of the community. The Administration building at the Chautauqua and the marble fountain in the court house square are monuments to their efforts. The latter was unveiled Oct. 26, 1906, and cost in the neighborhood of $1,000 when completed. It is from the chisel of Charles J. Mulligan, of Chicago, and is an artistic triumph of the sculptor's art. Mrs. Caroline C. Lutz has been president of the club since its organization. The present vice presidents are Mrs. Caroline Orton and Mrs. J. C. Diffenderfer; the secretaries are Mrs. Edward Klatt and Miss Emma Paisley, and the treasurer is Mrs. J. H. Boyd.
The Atlanta Woman's club was organized in Atlanta in 1899. The membership is limited to forty individuals and meetings are held every alternate Wednesday afternoon. The club has taken a prominent part in aiding the library and other beneficial movements in Atlanta since the organization of the society. The present officers are as follows: President, Mrs. Julia Forrest; vice president, Mrs. Minnie Hieronymous; secretary, Mrs. Mary Patton; treasurer, Miss Nellie Hoblit.
The earliest doctors of the county were necessarily located at the three oldest towns, Mt. Pulaski, Postville and Middletown. One of the founders of Mt. Pulaski in 1836 was Dr. Barton Robinson, who practiced medicine in the county from that date until 1857, when he moved to Kansas. Dr. John Clark was probably the next physician, as he came soon after the town was platted. He died in 1877, after practicing 43 years in Logan County. He was one of the early commissioners of the county. Dr. Granville Fain came to Mt. Pulaski in the early forties and practiced until 1860. Dr. Dickinson located at the same place in 1844 and died in 1854, and Dr. John C. Mershon was another Mt. Pulaski physician of the forties. Dr. Green Hill first came to the county in 1836, entering land in Hurlbut township. He located in Middletown later, where he practiced medicine until his death. Postville in an early day boasted of three physicians, Dr. H. P. Kelso, Dr. John Deskins and Dr. Peck. The latter \vent to New Orleans in 1854. Dr. Deskins was the first sheriff of the county and was a member of the legislature. Dr. Kelso died during the war. The first doctor in Lincoln was Dr. L. L. Leeds, who came June 4, 1854. He died in Lincoln in 1909, after a life of extended usefulness. Soon after him came Dr. F. F. Fuller, who resided in Lincoln but a few years. The first doctors in Atlanta were Doctors Win, Proctor, Rankin, Angell, Tenny and Kirk.
The first county medical society was organized in 1866. At a preliminary meeting in May, Dr. Samuel Sargent presided and a committee was appointed on by-laws as follows: A. M. Miller, R. S. Miller, L. L. Leeds and S. B. McGlumphy. Subsequently the first set of officers were elected as follows: President, J. B. Tenney; secretary, S. B. McGlumphy; treasurer, L. L. Leeds: censors, A. M. Miller, F. D. Cass, L. M. Perry. In addition to the physicians above named those who participated in the exercises were J. B. Sims, T. Newkirk, J. C. Ross. W. D. Little, J. Walsche, M. Wemple, John Finch and R. W. Philips. This organization continued to hold monthly meetings for a number of years, but later on became inactive. In 1877, the Brainard District Medical society was organized at Mason City, with Dr. L. L. Leeds as president. This society, at the time of organization, included Logan, Mason and Menard Counties. Its scope of territory has since been increased until it includes substantially all of Central Illinois. The present president is Dr. H. G. Hardt, of Lincoln. Dr. H. S. Oyler, of Lincoln, is secretary; Dr. C. C. Reed, of Lincoln, is treasurer, and Dr. J. H. Butler, of Hartsburg, is a member of the board of censors. A physicians' club was organized in Lincoln in 1904, with Dr. L. L. Leeds as president. The present officers are as follows: President, W. W. Howser; vice president, C. C. Montgomery; secretary, H. S. Oyler; trustees, C. Rembe, F. M. Hagans and L. T. Rhoads.
LINCOLN ENCAMPMENT, No. 78: Shortly after the Civil war there was a general soldiers' organization formed throughout the country. This was many years prior to the organization of the Grand Army of the Republic and this early organization was the nucleus around which the G. A. R. was formed. A branch of the former organization was organized in Lincoln, July 17, 1866, and its charter was dated Aug. 25 of the same year. It was known as Lincoln Encampment, No. 78. The charter members were T. S. Windsor, T. J. Larison, John H. Cherry, W. M. Beason, V. A. Jones, G. W. Ross, R. B. Fryer, C. H. Miller, Henry Sturgis, A. Allee, J. W. Yelton, J. S. Wright, T. L. Ormsby and Robert Russell. The encampment increased to 52 members, but in subsequent years was allowed to become inactive.
LEO W. MYERS POST, G. A. R.: Leo W. Myers Post, G. A. R., No. 182, of Lincoln, was organized Jan. 30, 1883, with 42 charter members. The post took the name of Leo W. Myers, a well known early citizen of the county, who was in both the Mexican and Civil wars and who was killed at Shiloh, April 6, 1862. The post was mustered in by Capt. Adair, of Springfield, with the following officers: Commander, James Hill; senior vice commander, J. B. Paisley; junior vice commander, J. C. Wallace; adjutant, Sol R. Smith; quartermaster, J. Q. Smith; officer of the day. W. J. Pettit; officer of the guard, J. C. Young; chaplain, Jerry Simpson; surgeon, C. H. Norred. On the erection of the new court house, a room was set apart for the G. A. R., where the meetings of the society are now held.
ATLANTA POST, G. A. R.: The Atlanta Post, No. 326, G. A. R., of Atlanta, was mustered Aug. 27, 1883, with 45 charter members, and with the following officers: Commander, F. J. Fields; senior vice commander, H. C. Hawes; junior vice commmander, Daniel Gardner; quartermaster, A. P. West; chaplain, John Wikel; surgeon, W. T. Kirk; officer of the day, J. W. Spindle; officer of the guard, James Lambert; adjutant, James Ladew; sergeant major, A. W. Chenoweth; quartermaster's sergeant, W. L. Jones.
SAMUEL WALKER POST, G. A. R.: Samuel Walker Post, No. 205, G. A. R., of Mt. Pulaski, was organized March 23, 1883, with 29 comrades. C. C. Mason was the first commander.
WOMAN'S RELIEF CORPS : Connected with each of the G. A. R. posts in the localities above named and auxiliary thereto, are organizations of the Woman's Relief Corps.
SONS OF VETERANS: A Sons of Veteran camp was organized in Lincoln in 1887, with 21 charter members. It was known as Robert B. Latham camp, No. 105. Henry Fox was the first captain. Sons of Veterans camps were likewise organized in Atlanta and Mt. Pulaski. The Lincoln camp, having become inactive, was re-organized in 1909.
The Lincoln Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution was organized in 1896, by Miss May Latham, who was the first regent of the chapter.
Lincoln Lodge, No. 210, A. F. & A. M., of Lincoln, was chartered Oct. 7, 1856, the petitioners being R. B. Latham, Joseph F. Benner, Robert Leslie, Solomon Kahn, John T. Jenkins and D. M. Jackson. Col. Latham was the first Worshipful Master. Logan Lodge, No. 480, A. F. & A. M., of Lincoln, was organized Feb. 12, 1866, with 14 members. The petitioners were A. M. Fellows, A. Mayfield, F. S. Selley, Joseph Murphy, T. F. Ladue and Samuel Stern.
Constantine Commandery, No. 51, K. T., of Lincoln, was chartered in 1878, with the following members: J. W. Poindexter, A. Mayfield, J. E. Hill, Minor Davis, W. F. Bromfield, J. T. Hoblit, G. H. Campbell, T. F. Ladue, J. A. Miles, J. T. Boyden, George Skinner, L. B. Davis, C. T. Wilbur, W. E. Seip, E. G. Hudson and L. L. Leeds. Lincoln Chapter, No. 147, R. A. M., was chartered in October of 1871. Lincoln Chapter, No. 351, O. E. S., was organized June 17, 1896. Lincoln Council, No. 83, R. & S. M., has also been organized in recent years.
Mt. Pulaski Lodge, No. 87, A. F. & A. M., of Mt. Pulaski. was chartered Oct. 8, 1858. D. P. Bunn was the first Worshipful Master, I. R. Braucher the Senior Warden and Robert Carlisle the Junior Warden. Mt. Pulaski Chapter, No. 121, R. A. M., was chartered Oct. 29, 1868, with 17 members. Mt. Pulaski Commandery, No. 39, K. T., was chartered Oct. 24, 1871, with 12 memebers. A chapter of the O. E. S. has also been organized in Mt. Pulaski, being Chapter No. 466.
Atlanta Lodge, No. 165, A. F. & A. M., of Atlanta, was chartered Oct. 2, 1855, with Richard T. Gill as Worshipful Master, Robert H. Killen as Senior Warden and George W. Rowell as Junior Warden. There were 33 charter members. Atlanta Chapter, No. 188, R. A. M., was chartered Oct. 27, 1882. The charter members were W. T. Kirk, George F. Bennett, A. E. Church, J. G. Bourne, A. W. Chenoweth, J. W. Regents, J. S. Perriton, S. H. Fields, A. J. Ludlam, Wm. Danenbaum, Dennis Kenyon, C. C. Aldrich and S. I. Leach.
Latham Lodge, No. 853, A. F. & A. M., of Latham, was instituted in October of 1879 with M. M. Vaughn as Worshipful Master. New Holland Lodge, No. 741, A. F. & A. M., was chartered Oct. 3, 1876, with T. P. Garretson as Worshipful Master.
Lincoln Lodge, No. 204, of Lincoln, was chartered Oct. 17, 1856, the charter members being D. H. Cox, James H. Lee, H. P. Kelso, L. M. Reber and T. J. Haughey. The first trustees were J. M. Handschey, D. H. Cox, William Roach, H. P. Kelso and E. W. Bradley. Mozart Lodge, No. 345, of Lincoln, was chartered Oct. 9, 1867, the charter members being J. N. Lipp, Fred Herkman, George Lechleiter, Felix Kahn, David Auer, Chris Kirchoff, John G. Fox, Henry Roach, G. Zimmerman and E. Meyers. John G. Fox was the first Noble Grand. The first trustees were Alois Gans, N. H. Dierkes, J. N. Lipp, George Miller and B. Sickel. Orphans' Home Lodge, Daughters of Rebekah, of Lincoln, was instituted March 24, 1891, with 15 charter members. Mrs. M. L. Joseph was the first Noble Grand. Boone Encampment, No. 41, of Lincoln, was organized Jan. 9, 1876. The latter has been reorganized as Logan Encampment, No. 99.
Logan Lodge, No. 176, of Atlanta, was chartered Oct. 12, 1855, with the following members: B. F. Dalzell, C. B. Vanhorn, F. M. Tuttle, J. L. Dugger, J. M. Gill, A. N. Dills, J. P. Mead, W. B. Vanhorn, J. M. Fisher, I. V. Gray, Lewis Eichberg and Andrew Downey. Whittier Lodge, No. 242, Daughters of Rebekah, was instituted in Atlanta, Jan. 31, 1889, Mrs. Joseph A. Uhr being the first Noble Grand.
Mt. Pulaski Lodge, No. 454, of Mt. Pulaski, was chartered Oct. 10, 1871. The charter members were John G. Fox, Henry Fox, P. L. Corby, J. M. Reetz, Milton Deere and Jacob Bollin. The first trustees were J. M. Reetz, P. L. Corby, Milton Deere. Ernst Wittig, Henry Fox, J. G. Fox. Lucas Lodge, No. 516, was chartered Oct. 14, 1873, wtih 25 members. The first trustees were John Meister, John Krieg, Michael Broehle, John Vogel and Wm. Wagner. Henry Fox was the first Noble Grand and George Huck, Secretary.
Broadwell Lodge, No. 727, of Broadwell, was organized in March of 1883, with the following charter members: L. M. Perry, George W. Read, Samuel Caskie, Charles Martinie, Andrew McKnight, J. W. McCollister, Mark Gordon, B. F. Corwine, John A. Critchfield and O. B. Hardy. Myrtle Lodge. No. 470, of Middletown, was chartered Oct. 8, 1872. The charter members were Abel McKay, L. M. Lake, John Brewsaugh, Charles H. Norred, C. C. Reed, William Squires and A. J. Reed. Charles H. Norred was the first Noble Grand and C. C. Reed, Secretary. The Middletown lodge erected a building in 1874. Elkhart Lodge, No. 307, was chartered Jan. 27, 1869.
KNIGHTS OF PYTHIAS
Glendower Lodge, No. 45, of Lincoln, was instituted March 19, 1874. The first officers of the lodge were as follows: R. B. Fryer, P. C.; J. M. Van Patten, C. C.; T. P. Joseph, V. C.; G. F. McAllister, Prelate; C. H. Newkirk, M. of F.; G. H. Snell, M. of E.; L. B. Davis, K. of R. and S.; G. M. Seik, M. at A. The lodge had 30 charter members. Mortimer Lodge, No. 35, of Latham, was instituted June 5, 1873. It has 73 members. Summit Lodge, No. 290, of Mt. Pulaski, was instituted April 27, 1891, this lodge being a reorganization of Hotspur Lodge, No. 27. It has no members. Acme Lodge, No. 332, of Atlanta, was instituted Feb. 26, 1892, and has a membership of 74. Kenwood Lodge, No. 405, of Elkhart, was instituted Feb. 7, 1893; membership, 32. Virginius Lodge, No. 591, of Beason, was instituted March i, 1900; membership, 71. Adelphia Lodge, No. 628, of Middletown, was instituted Jan. 9, 1903; membership, 40; Chestnut Lodge, No. 668, of Chestnut, was instituted Aug. 17, 1905; membership, 49. Emden Lodge, No. 549, of Emden, was instituted July 17, 1896. Ivy Leaf Temple, Rathbone Sisters, of Lincoln, No. 136, was instituted in. 1904. A temple of the Pythian Sisters has also been instituted at Mt. Pulaski.
Lodges of the Improved Order of Red Men have been organized at Lincoln, Mt. Pulaski, Atlanta and Middletown. Keokuk Tribe, No. 67, of Lincoln, was organized Dec. 7, 1887. Kickapoo Tribe. No. 188, of Lincoln, was organized July 6, 1903. Chickasaw Tribe, No. 277, of Atlanta, was organized in 1906, with 35 charter members. Chipeta Tribe, No. 271, of Mt. Pulaski, was chartered in 1906. A council of the Daughters of Pocahontas has also been organized in Lincoln under the name of Waneta Council, No. 16.
Local organizations of the Modern Woodmen of America are to be found in all the cities, towns and villages of the county, with several organizations of the Royal Neighbors.
Lincoln Council, No. 1250, Knights of Columbus, was chartered May 16, 1907, initiation taking place June 9th ensuing. William Ryan was the first Grand Knight and George Sieb first Recorder.
Lincoln Lodge No. 914, B. P. O. Elks, support extensive club rooms in the Lincoln House block.
Lodge No. 274, Independent Order of B'nai B'rith, a Hebrew benevolent organization, was instituted March 17, 1878, with 22 members. The first officers were: M. Henrichsen, president; Louis Rosenthal, vice president; Albert Rothschild, recording secretary; Joseph Landauer, financial secretary; Solomon Kahn, treasurer; Felix Kahn, monitor.
Lincoln Court, No. 192, Catholic Order of Foresters was instituted in 1903, with about 50 charter members. David Devine was first chief ranger, Frank Savage recording secretary and William Ryan treasurer. The first trustees were Stephen Grachek, Killian Meyer and Thomas Ryan.
Other secret fraternities in Lincoln are as follows: A. O. U. W., instituted in 1878 with 45 members; Division No. 1, Logan County, Ancient Order of Hibernians; Ladies Auxiliary, A. O. H.; Lincoln District, No. 102, Court of Honor; Lincoln Aerie of Eagles, organized in 1903; Knights of the Maccabees, Crystal Lake Hive, No. 121; Lincoln Camp, No. 109, Modern Woodmen; Lincoln Council, No. 101, Yeomen of America.
TRADES AND LABOR SOCIETIES
The following trades and labor societies have organizations in Lincoln: American Federation of Labor; Barbers' Union, No. 328; Clerks' Union, No. 74; Bartenders I. L. of A., No. 139; Cigar Makers' Union, No. 154; Leather Workers' Union, No. 15; Lincoln Carpenters' Union, No. 327; American Federation of Musicians, No. 208; Painters' Union, No. 266; Teamsters' Union; United Mine Workers' Union, No. 224; United Mine Workers' Union, No. 593; United Mine Workers' Union, No. 815.
The Women's Christian Temperance Union of Lincoln was incorporated June 18, 1883, with the following directors: E. R. Harrington, Mary Edgar, Elizabeth Harry, Sarah J. Warfield, Chloe Wright, S. L. D. Cortright, Lavina Coddington, Prudence Maltby, Mary Cossitt and Elizabeth Miller. In 1887, the society purchased the old Presbyterian church that was located on the present library site and moved it to Logan street, where it was dedicated as a W. C. T. U. tabernacle, Feb. 14, 1888.
Logan County Poultry, Pigeon and Pet Stock Association, Carl Gundlach, president, holds annual poultry exhibits in Lincoln, in December of each year.
The Polish Aid Society of St. Stanislaws was organized Oct. 3, 1904.
The Mutual Aid Society of the employees of the Latham Coal Company was incorporated July 9, 1903, Dennis Neylor, W. W. Miller and Wm. Cashen, trustees.
The Teutonia Mannerchor was organized in November of 1868 by Albert Bree, Henry Fox, E. F. L. Rautenberg, Otto Schleicher, Adolph Funk, R. Schweikert and S. Rethaber. It was incorporated July 8, 1903.
This page is "1911groups.htm" on the Logan County, Illinois, ILGenWeb site. The address of this page is http://logan.illinoisgenweb.org/1911groups.htm.