This page is part of the FREE site located at http://logan.illinoisgenweb.org/. There is NO charge to access any page on this site. If you have arrived here through a pay site click here to go to the original free Logan County ILGenWeb site.
A village of about 100 inhabitants, is situated nearly 10 miles east of Lincoln on the Indianapolis, Bloomington & Western Railroad. It was laid out in July 1872 by Silas Beason, (from whom it received its name), George Gelsthorp, and others. Additions to the original town were made by Joseph Wilson, Elias Hamilton and Lewis C. Turk. The first store was built by Berryman Pendleton and by him used as a grocery. It is now owned by H. A. Pruitt. The second store was erected by M. R. Hall and occupied by Joseph Barwick with a general stock of goods. After Mr. Pendleton sold the first store he erected a third which is now unoccupied. John A. Evans built the first dwelling in town; almost cotemporary with him were William Verg and Berryman Pendleton. This latter is one of the oldest families in the Kickapoo settlement. He was the first postmaster here. Rudolph and Evans built the first shop in Beason. The former is yet in business; the latter is in Midland City.
Pruitt & Gelsthorp erected an elevator in 1873. It is now used by Berryman Pendleton and from it large amounts of grain are shipped, chiefly to Indianapolis and Chicago. The town is a good point in the grain trade and is also a very good stock depot.
School is yet taught under the district plan, though steps are being taken to erect a school house in town and provide for a graded school.
The oldest denomination here is the Methodists. They were organized about a mile east of town nearly 12 years ago. Here they built a house of worship and held their meetings until 1877 when they moved the church to town.
A church was built about three miles east of town which, in the fall of 1876, was moved to town where the congregation yet meet.
The Christians erected their house of worship in 1873-74, and are now in a prosperous condition.
The earliest settlers in this part of the county located about the year 1850. Prior to that time they would be found in and along the timber. By this year, however, the value of prairie soil was well known, and as draining was also known to be profitable, the level country about Beason was all entered and is now thickly settled.