This page is part of the FREE site located at http://logan.illinoisgenweb.org/. There is NO charge to access any page on this site. If you have arrived here through a pay site click here to go to the original free Logan County ILGenWeb site.
We do not know why Chestnut is spelled several ways in this article -- presumably a typographical error.
Chestnut is on the Gilman, Clinton & Springfield Railroad, about seven miles east of Mt. Pulaski. Two attempts to found a town were made here before it was accomplished. The third attempt succeeded. Chesnut was laid out by David W. Clark, on the land of his brother, Isaac Clark, in April 1872. It was named in honor of Mr. Chesnut, one of the directors of the railroad.
Lakin & Britton moved a store from Yankeetown, or Hurricane Point, where they had been in business some time. Dement & Clark erected a second store soon after which, in the spring of 1877, was burned. One or two others have been added to these. William H. Daniels, a blacksmith in Yankeetown, came here in 1872 and is still in business. Isaiah J. Michener erected an elevator in 1873 or '74, and deals largely in grain, the station being a good shipping place.
School is held in the district schoolhouse about one mile below town.
The Methodist Church started in Yankeetown in the early days of the settlement, being organized in the house of Henry Dement as a class. They met in private houses, generally at Mr. Dement's, until they built a brick church, about 1849 or '50. 'Here they met until Chesnut was platted, when they erected a neat frame house of worship there, and moved their place of preaching thereto. They now have a good congregation and a large Sunday School.