This page is part of the FREE site located at http://logan.illinoisgenweb.org/. There is NO charge to access any page on this site. If you have arrived here through a pay site click here to go to the original free Logan County ILGenWeb site.
Cornland is on the Gilman, Clinton & Springfield Railroad in the southern part of Elkhart Township. It was platted by Joshua Day in August 1871. He and Dr. Phinney opened the first store in the village, which, in 1873, they sold to the Capps Brothers who are yet in trade. Thomas Bell erected a grocery in 1871 but discontinued business in 1873. R. W. Jess, of Sangamon County, opened a general store in 1871 but returned to Sangamon County three years after. Andrew Wilkinson was the first mechanic here and is yet in business. In 1876, an elevator was built, and a good grain trade started. Before this a small warehouse was operated by Mr. Daney of Elkhart. The town is also a good stock point. A good two-story school house was built in 1877. The school is, however, under the district control.
The Methodists built a house of worship in 1875 and continue a good congregation.
The Christians moved their church edifice in February 1877 from a point about three miles north of town where they had been organized several years.