This page is part of the FREE site located at http://logan.illinoisgenweb.org/. There is NO charge to access any page on this site. If you have arrived here through a pay site click here to go to the original free Logan County ILGenWeb site.
LAWNDALELawndale is about seven miles northeast of Lincoln on the Chicago & Alton Railroad. It was laid out by Thomas Eston who built the first store on the town plat. His son, in the same building, still carries on the business. The first dwelling in the village was built by R. K. Webster; the second by Mr. Eston, who was the first postmaster here. He came to this place as agent for a colony from Massachusetts and built a saw-mill on the banks of the creek, which mill was, for several years, a great convenience to the people living in this vicinity. It is now unused. The village is an excellent grain point, shipping mostly to Chicago. It contains two stores, a shop or two, one church and one school. The church was organized about six years ago by the Cumberland Presbyterians, who soon after built their present house of worship. They have now a flourishing church and Sunday School. The common school is yet under the district control.
Mr. C. C. Ewing is one of the earliest residents in this vicinity; he, his father and uncle, Judge Reuben B. Ewing, locating in 1830. The country was then a wilderness and inhabited by the Indians who, however, were peaceable and generally made this locality a hunting-ground.