Among the leading business men and prominent citizens of Mt. Pulaski is numbered Jacob Mayer, of the well-known firm of J. Mayer & Brother, manufacturers of harness and dealer in buggies. He was born in that village on the 16th of March 1850, and is the son of John G. and Elizabeth (Work) Mayer. The father was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, in 1808, and in 1832 crossed the broad Atlantic and first located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. On coming west, he located in Springfield, Illinois, where he was employed in a general way in the Ridgley Bank until 1848 when he removed to Logan county and settled on a farm in Mt. Pulaski township, where he spent two years. In 1850 he took up his residence in Mt. Pulaski, where he was engaged in General Merchandising with his brother George under the firm name of Mayer Brothers for tem years. He then followed farming in Mt. Pulaski township until his death, which occurred in 1865. He there owned two hundred and forty acres of rich and arable land, and had three hundred and ten acres elsewhere. His wife who long survived him, passed away in March, 1895. She was born in Strassburg, Lancaster county, Pennsylvania in 1813. They had a family of seven children, five sons and two daughters, namely: Samuel; Martha; George; Anna, wife of E. Stoll who died September 27, 1901; John W.; Jacob; and Henry, deceased.
Jacob Mayer was educated in the public schools, which he attended until fifteen years of age, and during the following three years was with the family on the farm. He then learned the harnessmaker's trade with the firm of Mayer and Reitz, serving a three yearsÆ apprenticeship. In October, 1871, he purchased the business, and carried it on alone until 1873, when he admitted his brother John W. to partnership, the firm became known as J. Mayer and brother. They have built up and excellent trade and have occupied the same building since December, 1873. Besides his business property our subject owns a nice home in Mt. Pulaski, which was purchased by him in 1888, and he also has a good farm of one hundred and sixty acres in Kansas. He is a wide-awake, energetic businessman, and generally carries forward to successful completion whatever he undertakes.
In 1872 Mr. Mayer wedded Miss Mary Schick, of Mt. Pulaski, a daughter of Adam and Lena Schick. They have two sons: William W., a jeweler of this city; and Elmer B., who is attending the State University at Champaign, Illinois. The family is one of prominence in the community where they reside and have a host of friends throughout the county. Mr. Mayer is a member of the Lutheran church and has taken an active part in local affairs, having served a number of terms on the city council and is at present a member of the board of education. He is rather liberal in his political views and is now a stanch Sound-Money Democrat.
Biographical Record of Logan County, published in 1901 Chicago: S.J. Clarke Publishing Co., Page 460.
Submitted by the late Penny Husler.