This page is part of the FREE site located at There is NO charge to access any page on this site. If you have arrived here through a pay site click here to go to the original free Logan County ILGenWeb site.


July 1, 1880 Elkhart, Illinois

June 29th - news was received here last evening of the death of Mrs. William Edgell who lived near Middletown., which was caused by her falling out of a cherry tree. How she came to fall we did not learn. She was an estimable lady and leaves a husband and large family of children to mourn her untimely and sudden death.

June 29, 1880 Lincoln Herald

Mrs. Wm. Edgell fell from a cherry tree yesterday and received such injuries as to cause almost instant death. Dr. Chas. Reed was called, but the vital spark had fled. She leaves a husband and eight children to whom in this their sad bereavement, the sympathy of all is extended. Funeral services will be held today.

Thursday July 8, 1880 Lincoln Times, Lincoln, Illinois

Mrs. Sarah Edgell received injuries from which she died, falling from a cherry tree. The funeral sermon was preached by Reverend S. M. Martin Tuesday last. The deceased leaving a husband and several children to mourn her loss.

The Lincoln Herald January 31, 1889

EDGELL At his home near Middletown on Friday, January 25, of a complication of diseases William Edgell, aged 60 years. The funeral occurred at Middletown on Saturday last. He leaves a wife and four children.

Lincoln Herald February 24, 1881

On Tuesday last the angel of death visited our community and took from our midst Henry Edgell. He was born in the state of Maryland in the year 1789; he was a soldier in the war of 1812, for which service he was receiving a pension of $96 per year. He had voted at 16 presidential elections and was only prevented from voting this fall by a sudden and severe attack of sickness the night previous to the election.

He had been a member of the M.E. Church for about 70 years; had enjoyed good health until about three years ago, when he became so feeble he had to discontinue work. His eyesight and hearing began failing about the same time.

His funeral took place Wednesday noon at the M.E. Church, Rev. Martin officiating; after which his remains were interred in the Barnes cemetery.